You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Local Q & A

Patna

Why do you think the age old name pf patna- "Patliputra" was changed to "Patna"?
    Hi SIDDHARTH,

I don't know but at least I can make a guess. You would agree that patliputra is a difficult name to pronounce and you must have seen people pronouncing even names of people short kind of way.
    So I think that over the course of time due to wrong pronunciation that name changed to Patna.
    This is just a guess. I don't know how true it is.

Webmaster
    Biharspider

Hello Siddharth,

You question is very appropriate, since you have asked the question how Pataliputra has changed to Patna in the name. Well according to my believes, it can be just because the Britishers might just went of wrong in the case of putting up while moving. The reason is simple, when they went away, Indians brought up the real name Patna upfront in order to get it right away from Britishers.

Pataliputra was considered very close in terms of Patna since they depicted the real sense of how Patna holded great as compared to Pataliputra. You can go through our Resource section to know more about the site informations and related news regarding Bihar and Jharkhand.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sashwato Chatterjee

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.